Here is where the fat-free vegan Chinese theme and my experiments with green jackfruit intersect. Really, I wanted to see what would happen if I baked eggroll wrappers with no fat. I discovered that they are delicious and crispy, and the resulting rolls make excellent appies or lunchbox nibbles.
Fat-Free Vegan Chicken Firecracker Spicy Rolls.
- 1 package egg roll wrappers.
- 1 can green jackfruit, drained.
- hot sauce and/or firecracker spices to taste (I used mild buffalo sauce and a bit of Sriracha)
- 1 cup shredded cabbage (I used a mix of cabbages)
- 1 green onion, thinly sliced
- other vegetables as desired (I used thinly sliced red peppers and carrots)
- feta or other cheese- optional (I made half with Daiya vegan havarti, and half plain)
1. Use two forks to shred the jackfruit, and mix with hot sauce to taste.
2. Lay out an egg roll wrapper with one corner facing down. Place a forkful of the jackfruit mixture on to the wrapper, near the bottom corner. Add forkfuls of the other ingredients.
3. fold the bottom corner of the wrapper up and tuck it behind the filling. Fold in the two side corners and stick them down with water.
4. Wet the top corner of the wrapper, and roll the entire wrap upwards to make a neat package. Bake at 375 F for about 10 minutes, then turn over and bake a few more minutes so that the dough is done and the roll is nicely browned. Serve warm or cold, with any cream-style dip to offset the firecracker heat.
(Bonus- we had a few wrappers left over after we used up all the filling, so we sprinkled the leftover wrappers with cinnamon and filled them with chopped apple and brown sugar, to make some apple cinnamon rollovers)